The establishment of the Sapperton Junior Lacrosse Club in 1900 was the impetus for the creation of Sapperton Park. The project was spearheaded by a group of more than 75 local residents that included Sapperton pioneer Jack Cambridge, an avid sports enthusiast who worked as the Registrar at the New Westminster courthouse. Cambridge was the fi eld captain for the new team, while infl uential Nels Nelson, who operated the West-minster Brewery, was President. The lacrosse team played on a privately-owned, makeshift lacrosse fi eld, as there were no existing public parks in the city’s east end. Despite the lack of adequate playing facilities, the new team included many talented players, and scored many victories. It not only won the city’s junior lacrosse championship, but the support of nearly every resident of Sapperton as well.
The site may have been offered for donation in 1903 to the citizens of Sapperton by the landowner. Later minutes record that the park was finally established in 1907 when Council granted the funds to clear the site in time for the lacrosse season.